|Insects are the most interesting mini beasts.|
Hangs like a blue thread loosened from the sky."
Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Silent Noon
- There are more than 5000 species of dragonflies.
- Dragonflies do not bite or sting.
- They can fly forward, backward, and hover.
- To the Native Americans, the dragonfly represented the winds of change, to a Samurai it was a symbol of power and agility, to the Chinese Good Luck and harmony, to the Japanese summer and autumn.
- Many cultures have given this amazing insect a unique meaning and generally it symbolizes change.
- Visit a lake, pond, stream, creek or wetlands area. Take a picnic, a camera and binoculars and watch out for dragonflies. How many different coloured dragonflies can you see?
- Are You a Dragonfly? (Backyard Books)
- Eliza and the Dragonfly (Sharing Nature With Children Book) by Susie Caldwell Rinehart
- The Dragonfly Door by John Adams
- Stokes Beginner's Guide to Dragonflies by Blair Nikula, Jackie Sones, Donald Stokes and Lillian Stokes.